Thursday 13 July 2006

Nostalgia and Notoriety

Posted by speedygeoff on Thursday, July 13, 2006 with
I told someone the other day I was 57. Then I thought, "Wait on, I'm 58. I think I am. How did that happen? I don't remember turning 58?"

I was asked a little while ago to return to the ABS and give some reminiscences about the mainframe computer. How can I do that, it was so long ago, a world away?

In the mail arrived a Flinders University Alumni magazine with a 2005 annual report. Another time warp as the photo (below) had the following caption, "1966 founding students Geoffrey Moore and Elizabeth Hannan with Founding Vice-Chancellor Emeritus Professor Peter Karmel AC CBE, Founding Professor of English Emeritus Professor Ralph Elliott AM, and current Vice-Chancellor Professor Anne Edwards." Phew. I am not sure what half the words mean, but the key word is the first, "1966", proof I have been around for a while.


Christopher Lang, Phill Toomey and Janet Perfrement were all at the function where the photo was taken, so they can vouch for its validity.

I think I will dig out some more photos in due course of the very old days before I forget about them completely. It seems nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Meanwhile, in case your short term memory needs a boost, here is a communication from Ken Eynon.

"Finally we have been able to put the half marathon, half marathon eve 5k and 1k Mini Jog photographs up on the website www.canberrarunner.com.au. There are some very good photographs taken by David Appleby, Ian Fletcher and Michael Rybinski and they can be downloaded for free."