It reminded me of one of the better runs I had in America. We were staying at Ashland in Oregon. I was out doing an easy jog through one of the city parks which suddenly turned into a very fast run when I saw the following sign:
Bear Sighted in the Area
If you encounter a bear:
- Avoid direct eye contract [sic] with the bear.
- If a bear stands on its hind legs, it is trying to detect scents and is not neccessarily behaving aggressively.
- Give the bear a way to escape. Step off trail and slowly walk away.
- If you see bear cubs, steer clear and leave the area.
- Stay calm. Do not run or make sudden movements. Back away slowly as you face the bear.
Ashland Parks and Recreation - May 26, 2006.