Wednesday 18 October 2006

stepping into the great unknown

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 with
how we trained

Monday at Parliament House was the start of our summer season training. After the usual warm-up jog, I got the group to run a fast kilometre, including three chin-ups on the way round the loop; then 30 sit-ups on the oval, six 200 meter runs with only 100m recoveries, then we did some starting practice, which was a lot of fun. Observation - if runners wear watches to time themselves, they lose a lot of time at the start! So my wise advise was to hand your watch to a friend before the start. Actually I can just see runners this season starting their garmins so they can analyse later how far around the track is and how much the elevation varies.

After eight days non-enforced non-running I could not move! something akin to sciatica was killing my lower right calf right from the start, even though I commenced at a very slow jog.

I was 90% better yesterday and a few more days of light running should see the pain subside.

next a 3000m
And so to track tomorrow. Aki, I do plan to step into the great unknown and run at interclub occasionally. I don't mind "pacing" a 5k there at your pace if you want to try it too.

not a dog

p.s. Today it was 21 degrees at 8am, a strong north/west wind, with real rain! This is not the Canberra I know.