Wednesday 23 May 2007

How many halves makes one?

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 with
Listening to: Signal Fire, by Snow Patrol. Apparently it's from Spiderman 3 (pity about the movie).

Today at BBQ Stakes
Helen 26.21
Me 26.22
Charlie 27.07
No, I did not run with Helen. Anyway she would have out-sprinted me by more than a second if I had. I gave Helen the obligatory 90 seconds start. I thought I was moving along quite well in the windy conditions. Helen's run was her third fastest in 66 starts. Charlie's run was a near pb; and watch out, I spied her buying skins afterwards.

Half Marathons
On the same weekend as the ACTVAC Half Marathon are two other excellent races, the Sutherland Half on Saturday 25 August, and the Adelaide Half on Sunday 26th. I am very tempted to run Sutherland; it is decades since I ran that one, and it is where I ran my lifetime pb of 70.06 (when I was second to John Andrews in a big field). And now there is an added bonus; I can visit grandchildren on the way home.

The plan is to run five halves this year, so it's two down; three to go: Doomben, Sutherland or ACTVAC, and Australasian Masters. Even if all three are "slow" I will have had a good year after my times at Weston Creek and Canberra. So, nothing to lose!

Charlie running the marathon