Friday 11 January 2008

33.9 degrees for 3000m race

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, January 11, 2008 with
Now I won!
Actually it was Amanda who won silver in the ACT 10k championships, second to Kathy Southgate.


And Amanda is 40. Here she is with Gary and other strange people.

Now Derek can kiss ass. I, knackered, won.
Earlier a large field battled extreme conditions - it was officially 33.9 degrees at 6pm when the race started - in the 3000m. (Who is this Derek?) And I won according to my own secret rule: no one older than me was in front of me. Although Graham Bourke (M60) was breathing down my neck at the end. I ran splits of about 3:45, 4:00, 4:00, I couldn't be bothered pushing the last couple of laps this time, it was too darn hot. I had a huge drink just before the race but it didn't help, my mouth was very dry in the first lap. At least this time I ran 90 second laps for the first three not just the first two. And I felt OK leg-wise.

No, we won.