Sunday 27 January 2008

Plan a day off

Posted by speedygeoff on Sunday, January 27, 2008 with

Asked what training pattern we should be following here in Canberra, here is my advice.

Current Training Pattern
Mondays Speed / Tempo
Tuesdays Long Steady
Wednesdays Easy
Thursdays Race
Fridays Rest
Saturdays Tempo / Speed (opposite of Monday)
Sundays Easy

The principles followed with this pattern are:
(a) A long day each week is important. Perhaps extend the distance every couple of weeks.
(b) One rest day is a good idea - remember the "Sabbath day" principle.
(c) The longest day should be preceded by a speed day and followed by an easy day; that way, appropriate recoveries occur.
(d) Three demanding days in a row should never be attempted.

Today at the Campbell Park Vets handicap I ran only six seconds slower in the 3k than I did last year. I think my form has returned. This is after a One Hour race on Thursday at the track, and yesterday at Stromlo averaging 3:45 for my kilometre reps. I was joined there this week by Bronwyn, Rachelle, and Kelley. Tomorrow at Parliament house we will meet at 4:30pm and 5:30 pm as always, but for an evening of easy recovery running in preparation for racing at Stromlo Tuesday evening. Given that Monday is a holiday, attendance is optional! (Or, more optional than usual).

I have been following the above pattern for most of my recent training. It is good to plan a day off. But the Friday "day off" comes between an intense Thursday night and a hard Saturday morning. Makes for a short "day". And, a day off can be a jogging day. Or, a jogging day in place of a speed day, as tomorrow will be.

Yes, today's race was an "extra" not in the pattern, but I couldn't resist trying to outrun the other geese. And although I took a gut with me, I did not bust it.

Just another reason for an easy day tomorrow.

Frylink Pointscore winners 2007