Wednesday 5 March 2008

BBQ today

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 with
It was the 30th anniversary of the BBQ Stakes today so I decided to vary my routine and go and have a run there. All the indicators were that I would have a quite slow run; warmish, less warm-up than usual, hard one hour gym session just before it, two restless nights with sciatica or something equally uncomfortable, two hard runs yesterday, still not recovered from the 10k, etc etc. I had a very fast run! Where did that come from? I have been significantly faster only once in 66 previous runs there. I certainly didn't feel like I was over-extending.

Speedygeoff ~25:05
Roger ~ 27:00
Helen ~ 28:15

The 6km BBQ Stakes are run every Wednesday so in 30 years there have been a lot of them! Results are no longer accessible via the web so I cannot look them up to see who ran what when I am not there. Katie had recent two runs at BBQ Stakes, both in 27:13. These are good times and indicate Katie is finding some good form. Ready for a fast 800m this Friday!

I ran too fast to win the handicap! You're not allowed to improve that much. But it means I should now expect to run well in the big races of the next couple of months, however bad I feel going into them. That's a relief! I really want that sub 20 5k next week, looks like it's on.

It was sad that Doug Fry wasn't there. He is still in hospital, that's one month now. He is still having tests.