Saturday 18 October 2008

If Not For You

Posted by speedygeoff on Saturday, October 18, 2008 with
Emma sent this email from Vancouver earlier this week.

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada. So I thought it would be timely to reflect and be thankful.

I am thankful that my family are all healthy and happy.
That the boys have settled into their new school with ease.
That being crammed into our floathome has helped us come closer together as a family.
That my new job is shaping up to be fantastic, especially the infant mental health part, with a great mentor and colleagues and many chances to learn and "do stuff".
That we are moving into our new house next week and it is beyond our expectations.
That Rob is showing how adaptable and supportive he always is.

I am so happy that there are so many opportunities for having fun in Vancouver, that I doubt we will get bored here!
That winter is coming.....and we are going to learn how to ski!

I am most thankful that I miss my family and friends like crazy, and still get sad thinking about the distance (and time) that will come between us.
But the separation and sadness has helped me realize even more fully the wonderful connection we make, and how truly thankful I am for you in my life.

Love Emma

PS Each week-end we do something else, here is a little selection of Vancouver!


The back of our new house.....can't wait!


Toby at Steveston Harbour where we will be living next week, can buy fish straight off the boats! Tobes is loving Kindy and his swimming is taking off!


Steveston, off Garry Point, wetlands just off the dyke.


Walking along the dyke in Steveston......a few hundred metres from home. The dyke goes for over 20km around the island....great for running, but no hills!


Lighthouse Cove in West Vancouver.....watch out for bears! West Vancouver is rather posh......drive past and play "what mansion do you want?"


Old railway with community gardens. Goes for 10km from one side of Vancouver to the other. We all walked from Richmond to Granville Island yesterday. On the way we stopped at Kerrisdale and weirdly enough bumped into my new long run group at a coffee shop! Can't help but become part of the running community here!


Crescent Beach, White Rock.....there are really nice houses here. Under every rock here are at least 4 crabs. Lucas is coming in to his own at school, and is proudly doing really well at reading. On the first day of school we spied him playing basketball with the other lads, centre stage.


Deep Cove, great place to learn seakayaking, and mountain running......the Baden Powell trail is a 41km trail through the mountains to Grouse Mountain, lots of hill training.....and I discovered that Jasper is a mountain goat! He is a great runner!