Saturday 3 January 2009

rock the boat

Posted by speedygeoff on Saturday, January 03, 2009 with
"Blog" stands for Back_LOG
You say Weblog but I say Backlog. I have pages of stuff I haven’t digested for blog posts, let alone all the unwritten thoughts in mind and that keep coming to mind!

what I am reading
"Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman. Wonderfully constructed story, a fast paced imaginative fantasy which is compulsive reading. I don't think I have felt more delighted discovering a new book and a new author since I encountered the "Narnia" stories 50 years ago. This fantasy is for adults however, and is wonderfully realised by an author who has a unique clarity and immediacy of expression. A joy to read. I will move on to his other writings, in due course, as a treat.

what I am watching
Currently I am watching the DVD "Prince Caspian", the second movie in the Narnia series; the first was "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe". Conclusion: Watch the movie if you will, but read the book first. Read the books first. All seven. The books are better than the movies and they are quite short. Read all seven several times. Prince Caspian is the least exciting of the seven books, but I can see why they filmed "Prince Caspian" second of the seven. It leads into the next book/movie, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader", which promises to be a "little ripper".

Simon’s cat is now a dog?? Doesn't work for me! Dog fanciers might like it.



Thought for the day: if we rock the boat by marching to a different drummer, will it upset the applecart?