Thursday 25 June 2009

Something was bound to go right sometime today

Posted by speedygeoff on Thursday, June 25, 2009 with
BBQ Stakes results from yesterday
Roger 25:22
Katie 25:38
Ken 26:31
Me 26:35
Helen 27:45
Amanda 28:50
Brett 28:52
This was Brett's first run at BBQ Stakes; Amanda's second. All the speedygeese were under 29 minutes again; a great effort all round.

I have a cold! Rats. It came on after the Stakes, and explains my lack of energy in the run.

Breathing v Legs
"You should be able to talk when going on your easy runs” I read. No worries. Half the speedygeese talk on their hard runs! Is that saying we are running too easily? Not necessarily: this rule of thumb works well for beginner runners whose limitation is their breathing, but well trained ("highly tuned?") runners like the speedygeese are more likely to find that their legs are their limitation; they cannot run hard enough to run out of puff.
Which is why I say "I ran out of legs" when I fade in a race. It's not my respiration that is usually the problem.

People going away
Following on from yesterday's post, one more goose has fled the cold of Canberra. Helen is off to Perth for a month! Fortunately, we have many new geese (goslings?) joining us. I love variety and change.

Emma's gift
Emma is living, for now, in Vancouver, Canada, and planning to return to Canberra. Emma sent me a Kajaks shirt - Kajaks is her athletic club - and a photo book of Vancouver; they arrived yesterday. Thanks Emma! You are a delight. I will wear the shirt tonight, and in a couple of weeks publish the email and photos you also sent over.

Finally, Wise words