Monday 11 January 2010

iPlod shuffle

Posted by speedygeoff on Monday, January 11, 2010 with
Thinking about trail training runs v pavement training runs, I like trail running because (a) the surface is often softer (b) there are fewer or no mad cyclists to avoid (c) there can be more shade (d) the trail is usually more undulating which, to a point, can help build strength. But I also like pavement running for my long runs because (a) I run much faster (b) I can get into a good rhythm (c) the paths we run on have bubblers and taps (d) you race how you train, and marathon races are road races. But on reflection the main reason I avoid the trails is because on trails I plod, I shuffle, and if I lose concentration I have a tendency to fall, something I should not be doing as I age. Some of my peers have had several falls and it is not a pretty sight. The falls are usually but not always on trails. In the dark sometimes too, which is one of several good reasons why early starts in winter in Canberra are not an option. Best of all I like track because there are no bumps and cracks, although last time I wore spikes my shuffling was so bad at the end of a 1500m I tripped on the spikes and fell over the aluminium railing, damaging a wrist. However track is no good for long training runs; boring for a start, and the surface at Bruce hard on the legs. If I wanted to be bored I would take up race walking. If running started to bore me I would take up cycling, but that will never happen. I don't mind the cyclists on my long runs; I get to say hello to a lot more people when cyclists are about, even if only for a second at a time.

Why I won't become a cyclist: Reason #270



Running on Canberra' shared paths, I have found Canberra cyclists most courteous the last couple of Sundays. This hasn't always been the case in the past.

This week's training and racing
Monday 11 Jan
Parliament House 4:30pm jog (6k or 7k?), 5:30pm interval training
Wednesday 13 Jan 12:15pm BBQ Stakes, I will be there this week heat and all, even if I only jog it, I missed going there last week. [edit: I may not go after all, my one compelling reason to travel over there has evaporated! We will see.]
Thursday 14 Jan Track (combined meeting)
5:45pm 3000m run (combined with walks) (this started 15 minutes late last week)
7:00pm 800m handicap (my guess is, handicapped on your estimated time)
7:30pm 200m
7:50pm 3000m/5000m. Obviously the start time depends entirely on how many divisions of the 200m have to be run. So let's hope there are lots! Although, the forecast for Thursday is 25 degrees, I don't know what that means for wind, rain etc. But hopefully the only cool day of the week means good conditions for racing 5k.
Saturday 16 Jan 8:00am Pialligo intervals - penultimate session
Sunday 17 Jan 7:00am I am running from the Zoo car park (next door to Scrivener Dam), 16k is the plan.


Christopher, Rachelle, and Victoria who ran her longest warm weather run yesterday, 17k, on the pavement around lake Burley Griffin.