Thursday 26 January 2012

in two minds

Posted by speedygeoff on Thursday, January 26, 2012 with
I was in two minds last night at the track; I couldn't work out if I were running a 3k or a 5k - the two events are combined - and I set off running the 5k but switched at the 2k mark for no reason at all. The splits were 4:04, 4:06, and 3:53. It didn't help that I misread my time at 2k as 8:00. But I still don't know why I then decided to complete just the 3k. I must focus more! It was, however, my fastest 3k since 2009. And it felt good to run faster than 4 minute pace for about 500m towards the end.

Craig ran a seriously big PB in the 5k, 21:30. Which incidentally is 17 seconds under Bronwyn's PB meaning he has achieved his primary goal in the 3000m and the 5000m; next Thursday is the 1500m Craig! Maria celebrated her 57th birthday by taking 30 seconds off the ACT W55 5k record, running ~21 minutes. Geoff S won his first ever age handicapped (Pennington or Higgins) 800m with an excellent run, with the two Kathy S's finishing second and third. There were many other highlights.

When I taper, as Ewen says probably for the ACT Championships, a sub 20 5k shall occur.

Now, the Summer Series starts on Tuesday, Jan 31 at Stromlo Forest Park (6:15pm) - see http://www.canberrarunner.org.au/index.php?module=News&action=ShowNews&id=268
That means we will have many choices of races. I shouldn't race flat out on both Tuesdays and Thursdays. I must set out a plan and stick to it. I am in two minds: this is fun but it is serious too!

"In Australia we have serious challenges to solve and we need serious people to solve them"

80 days to go until the ultra. And an opportunity to switch to the marathon if I am not focused. Now that's serious!