Tuesday 10 January 2012

rough going

Posted by speedygeoff on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 with
Training at Parliament House: Tim, Nadine & I ran 8k early. Nadine sustained an ankle injury towards the end of the run and went home to ice it. For the main session, Tim & I were joined by Cookie, Andy, Bronwyn, Caroline, Craig, Ewen, Jacob, Jane (new), Jen, Kym, Lauren, Lincoln (new), Mick, Neil, Ruth, Tim, Warrick & Yelena. The session goal was to complete 11 of our Rose Garden circuits on 2:45, sprinting the top 200m. 16 of the group achieved this. Some chose not to wait for 2:45 and made it a continuous run: they did 13 200s (Bronwyn), 14 (Jen, Kym & Craig) and 15 (Tim). It was hard going but everyone ran well.

I was pleased to equal my recent record of three chin-ups, during the early run, then at a second attempt during the warm-up, managing five. I should be able to do ten straight soon??!!

Spofforth Street - rough going for the hoons


On a recent run I was delighted to see a series of speed bumps along Spofforth Street, along the back of Holt close to my home. I hadn't run there for a while. Every morning well before the sun comes up Canberra low-life are hooning around, doing burn-outs and drag racing. The speed bumps might keep some of these morons away which can only improve the quality of sleep. As you know, a good night's sleep is essential for everyone's health and well-being, particularly for tired athletes, not to mention students, parents of young children; normal people!

Track
This Thursday there's a steeplechase, a mile, and a 3000m on offer, but I won't be able to go. The following week, Thursday 19th, there is a 3000m at 6:00pm which I will possibly run, even if the day is hot. Just to see if all this hard training is producing results.