Thursday 28 June 2012

road sense

Posted by speedygeoff on Thursday, June 28, 2012 with
"Going with the flow" on the road has never made sense to me. On the road there are mad drivers, bad drivers, impatient drivers, drunk drivers, speeding drivers, drugged drivers, feral drivers, unregistered drivers, stolen car drivers, P drivers, late drivers, angry drivers, tailgate drivers, cutting in drivers, taxi drivers, fat drivers, hat wearing drivers, and so on. In summary, all the dreaded "Canberra Drivers". Sensible drivers are usually in the minority. I prefer to coast along at a sensible speed, watch the road, and listen to my music. Speaking of which, the next big music concert I plan to attend if I can get tickets, is Mumford & Sons in Canberra in October.

"Going with the flow" is not usually my approach to racing either. Being a pacer rather than a racer, at least for the first half of a race, I tend to start off steadily regardless of the pace that others may be doing, and coast along at much the same speed all the way if I can. It pays off in the long run!

Result Customs 5k Friday 22 June: Andrew 19:46, Bill 26:19, Caroline 28:59.

Training at Dickson Tuesday 26 June: Ewen, Kym & I ran the early long run, then Colin, Susan, Caroline & I on the track after a warm-up ran a pyramid consisting of 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100 with recoveries of the same distances.

Good luck to those competing at the Gold Coast this weekend. Many Canberra runners will be there, among them Ewen is running the 10k on Saturday, and Craig the marathon on Sunday.

Some Canberra Half Marathon photos
self

Craig

 Ewen

Lu

Yesterday's post had names of the Olympic team members as of mid June. Athletes still have about ten more days to qualify! I will leave the list there and update it when the final team is announced.