Friday 27 September 2013

Quest For Gold

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, September 27, 2013 with
Coming up is our trip to Geelong for the Australian Masters Games. We are staying at the Geelong Conference Centre, which is in Eastern Park where the Cross Country is being held, and just a stone's throw from the Track and the Half Marathon venue. These Masters Games are conducted every two years, and in recent times have been in Adelaide or Geelong. I have attended quite a few AMGs as I like both cities, and last time, Adelaide, I managed the "full set" of medals, one gold (half marathon), one silver (5000m track), and one bronze (8k cross country). Previously in Geelong I managed two silvers, in a quick 8k Cross Country, and a 20:01 (rounded up I am sure) 5000m track. I didn't run the Half that year. Never having competed in the M65 age group before, I am hoping for even better results this time, as the rest of the competition has fallen away somewhat. Unluckily my times have fallen away as well. But three golds is not impossible, although I will be rapt to bring back just one medal.

Here is the program, with the track race first for a change.
11:00am Tuesday 8 Oct 5000m track M55, M60, M65, M70, M75
8:00am Thursday 10 Oct 8k Cross Country (one combined race)
8:00am 7:30am Saturday 12 Oct Half Marathon (ditto) + last minute change of venue?

I am packing three pairs of racing shoes, one pair for each event. And some spares. It is a good thing we are going by car!

Where we are staying, the Geelong Conference Centre


The Half Marathon course.[Edit: Or nearby as it looks like a last minute change?]

The track, too, is shown near "START".

Then on Sunday 13 Oct I hope to watch the Melbourne Marathon/Half Marathon, on St Kilda Rd, right at the 5k/32k mark of the marathon, with camera in hand. Runners, watch out for me there, it will be difficult for me to see everyone in the crowd!

Sunday's Melbourne Marathon starts at 7:00am and the Half Marathon soon after at 8:00am. I hope to be there early enough to watch the marathoners come through! Then a bit of a wait while I go for a run, then there will be marathoners and half marathoners in all directions.

All is now ready. Let's GO!