Sunday 3 January 2016

Oats, a ripe banana, one cup of tea (no milk no sugar), and a long run at a good pace

Posted by speedygeoff on Sunday, January 03, 2016 with
Today at Stromlo I ran 18k in 1:45, an average of 5:50 per km. This compares favourably with last week’s 17k in 1:52:30 averaging 6:27 per km, on a slightly shorter version of the same course.

FYI, I always have a cut-down version of my normal breakfast if I am running early, i.e. at 9:00am or earlier. The banana moistens the oats sufficiently; I never drink milk. A normal breakfast would also have a combination which may include walnuts, sultanas, raisins, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried apple, dried apricot, and more, whatever is in the kitchen cupboard.

Here are today's map and elevation. We started anti-clockwise on the trails, and finished on the grass of Stromlo Forest Park





Reasons I had a better run than last week:
It felt cooler today.
I am on a roll: one week into my (new year's) running streak.
I had excellent company: Thommo and Dave.

It is a good feeling to be able to run long, comfortably again. And now the plan is to explore more of the West Stromlo trails next Sunday.