Friday 13 July 2007

Pleasantly fatigued

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, July 13, 2007 with
"When I was young, I was too slow. I thought I must learn to run fast by practicing to run fast, so I ran 100 meters fast 20 times. Then I came back, slow, slow, slow. People said, 'Emil, you are crazy. You are training like a sprinter.'" - Emil Zatopek

A game - this cow maze puzzle is a good one, a bright kid will solve the levels easily. It starts easy. Level 34 took some thought! There are 42 levels, and most are easier than they look.

Thursday training report
We repeated an anaerobic session from a few weeks ago, sprints over 50m and 100m with varying distance float recoveries. It was cold! Running were Caroline, Geoff & Kathy, Ken, Neil, Peter & Maria, Rod, Roger, Tony and Yelena. It was very disappointing to discover afterwards that Joel & Yelena's home had been broken into. What a low act.

Fight Club, on TV late tonight, is supposed to be very good. I will be taping it after taping/watching the Crows flog the Saints.

The Mill Creek race is on this Saturday. I won't go, I need reliable surfaces to run on, and the creek crossing is very dodgy.

Finding my Feet
Now that I am jogging daily again, and unable to push the pace yet, I am finding that I am very pleasantly fatigued at the end of each run, not sore, not gasping for air, but with a sense that my muscles and my lungs have had a pleasant workout.

I feel better for the run!

Most training should be like that. Consistency is more important than speed. Occasional training runs should push the boundaries; but a much better idea is to do most running at 60% to 80% effort.

Try it!