Friday 27 February 2009

Australian Masters Games Geelong

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, February 27, 2009 with
Mission Accomplished
My first big competition as a 60 year old. All goals achieved; two silver medals. The M60s including me were somewhat slower than the M55s were. All except for one M60, who enjoyed jogging along with the leaders at an easy pace for all his races before taking off mid race. If challenged there would have been fireworks. Not challenged, he had a less than strenuous meet. That's Kevin Solomon.

Tough cross country
Saturday morning, and I wore my glasses because of tree roots, soft patches under the pines, a need to stay on course, and a strong wind which was blowing bits of pine debris around that I didn't want to get in the eyes. It would have been a wonderful course to train on; not at all flat, nicely shaded, very soft underfoot. Once I was a safe second after 5k, it was hard to sustain a very fast pace. Three runners I know of had twisted their ankles in earlier races on the course; care needed to be taken.

Down, Pat
The 5000m on the track was four days later; Wednesday. I remember saying before I left that I had 4 minutes kms down pat. So there was no problem running 20 minutes flat; the time was officially 20.01, 11:58 at 3k the only split I remember. I will have to get 3:45 kms down pat, now. There is work to be done.

My hosts - more than a house, a home.
The lovely Sonia, Maya (6), Ashwin, and Anand (3).

The track - and the field
Consie at the long jump. She won four gold medals in her events.

Mick - going the extra mile
Mick did brilliantly but was in a very strong age group, M45s. Mick was my chauffer, way beyond the call of duty. Thanks Mick.