Tuesday 8 December 2009

the best music of 2009

Posted by speedygeoff on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 with
Each year I post my choices for the best new albums of the year. Running and music so go together; rhythm, you know. This year is interesting as I have in the latter half of the year finally regressed to listening to some of my favourites from the 60s and 70s, notably The Incredible String Band (I have purchased everything ever recorded by ISB except Earthspan and No Ruinous Feud, which I haven't managed to locate), Robin Williamson (from ISB), The Beatles, The Who, Country Joe and the Fish (I love the song “Janis” and many more). But there were also some excellent new recordings released this year. Here then are my top five.

My choices for the best new music of 2009

1. No Line On The Horizon – U2. This album contained the best song of the year, “Magnificent”.


2. Truth Of The World (Welcome To The Show) – Evermore. Arguably the best concept album ever recorded (yes, even better than Pink Floyd’s “The Wall”). Australian, too. (Or Kiwi, if you like)


3. The Recordings of The Middle East (EP) - The Middle East. A sensational new band from Townsville, Australia, they are yet to put down a full album. JJJ have been thrashing “Blood”, and rightly so.


4. Some songs you can download from a fabulous new band called “En Tout Cas”, pronounced On-Tu-Ka. From Melbourne, they don’t even have a record release yet, but their music can be found on http://www.myspace.com/entoutcasmusic. Check it out, so good.


5. New Moon soundtrack. Half a dozen of the tracks are the best music you will ever hear. I love DCfC anyway, and some of the other bands I haven’t heard before are outstanding. Not that I will be seeing the movie.

Training Monday
Present were Andrew, Bronwyn, Craig, Emily, Ewen, me, Helen, Jennifer, Jodie, Melanie, Mick H, Rachelle, Richard, Ruth, Tony, Warrick & Zac. We ran thirty minutes of zig-zag relays in teams of three, always fun and the obligatory frisbee players added to the occasion.

Today is the last chance for you to reply to the Ellacure dinner invitation. I just hope they allow another increase in numbers!

If there is no Canberra marathon in 2010
(a) What will Katy do?
(b) What will happen to the 50k?