Tuesday 20 December 2011

why discomfort is good for you...

Posted by speedygeoff on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 with
"Western culture has things a little backwards right now. We think that if we had every comfort available to us, we’d be happy. We equate comfort with happiness. And now we’re so comfortable we’re miserable. There’s no struggle in our lives. No sense of adventure. We get in a car, we get in an elevator, it all comes easy. What I’ve found is that I’m never more alive than when I’m pushing and I’m in pain, and I’m struggling for high achievement, and in that struggle I think there’s a magic.
"This rings true for me. I think there are three reasons why you and I should embrace discomfort, whether we deliberately choose it, or it simply happens to us.
  1. "Comfort is overrated. It doesn’t lead to happiness. It makes us lazy—and forgetful. It often leads to self-absorption, boredom, and discontent.
  2. "Discomfort can be a catalyst for growth. It makes us yearn for something more. It forces us to change, stretch, and adapt.
  3. "Discomfort is often a sign we’re making progress. You’ve heard the expression, “no pain, no gain.” It’s true! When you push yourself to grow, you will experience discomfort."
...read the full article at this link.

Tired Runner.

Parliament House Training last night: Thach, Nadine & I ran 8.5k early, then for the main session of 3 x 950m fast with a 950m jog in between were Andrew, Andy, Cathy, Colin, Craig, me, Kym, Lauren, Mick, Nadine, Neil, Ruth & Tim. We didn't do our exercises this week because humidity and rain made the exercise stations slippery. But next week training continues, with another go at exercises perhaps before going home to watch the Boxing Day Doctor Who Christmas Special!