Monday 30 July 2012

a little strength training can go a long way

Posted by speedygeoff on Monday, July 30, 2012 with
"Every now and then a runner asks me if he or she should do P90X or CrossFit. If you’ve been living under a rock, both P90X and CrossFit are very intense and challenging fitness programs that emphasize strength building. Usually I advise runners not to do them. I have nothing against either program, but they’re extremely taxing. While I’m a big believer in strength training for runners, I don’t think a runner’s hardest workouts should be anything other than runs. You can only put so much energy into strength training before it starts to take away from running."
Read http://running.competitor.com/2012/06/training/should-your-strength-training-be-hard_54746 for the rest of the article.

I do an easy circuit session once a week (Fridays) and a light strength/stretch session once a week (Tuesdays). Looks like I am on the right track.

My 12k run last Friday:

At Albion Park.

Remember to invite newcomers along to our training sessions. Particularly at Parliament House on Thursdays. We are looking to recruit people who want to begin running regularly with a group who haven't run very much before, or who don't run with any other groups. Remember to tell them, it's free, fun, and friendly!