Sunday 14 October 2012

Tips For Injury-Proofing Your Body

Posted by speedygeoff on Sunday, October 14, 2012 with
I am posting this on the day I shouldn't be running in a half marathon because of injury.

http://running.competitor.com/2012/10/injuries/dean-karnazes-3-tips-for-injury-proofing-your-body_59817

The main points in the article are:
  • No sitting allowed! Use a stand-up desk at work, for example. Something I hadn't thought of but it makes a lot of sense. For example my lower back which caused some trouble in the old days was often worse if I had to drive a long distance to a race..
  • Cross Training! Interesting he lists just push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups - the three I strongly recommend.
  • Avoid over-built running shoes! do some running barefoot on the grass or on sand when you can.
Anyway, being injured, my plan A today is to watch the Melbourne marathon and half marathon, and my Plan B is to run the half. If I do run it keep an eye on the time: I might just aim to double my PB and do around 2:20.12 which coincidentally would be a good time to run in the year 2012!