Friday 27 March 2015

Age/Sex adjustment (AST) calculator. What would you have run when younger?

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, March 27, 2015 with
In my post on 17 March I described the AST% and gave the formula

"MY AST = AGE STANDARD / MY TIME * 100"

More convenient might be the calculator at: http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html.

The calculator gives not only the AST, it gives an age graded result too. For example, my recent 22:19 on the road is equivalent to a young man's 17:00. So 22:19 is not all that flash, given that I have a 15:10 PB and 17:00 is hardly close to that.

You also see the age standard and the related factor it used for working out the AST.

I note that the factors are date stamped 2010, the same as we use in the Veterans Athletic Club. I also note there are new factors available, presumably a beta version, dated 2015. As I have anticipated for some time, a big job is coming up for the Vets webmaster (i.e. me) to bring the factors on our website up to date.

Try it: http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html; select a distance and enter a time and see what you get.

In any event........